Miles Without Stiles 8: Brockhole
A short route around the beautiful grounds of Brockhole on Windermere, taking in Windermere lakeshore OS Explorer Map OL7
Route for many. A circular walk. 1.5km distance.
Brockhole on Windermere offers many attractions, including a famous walled garden, woodland and meadow trails, adventure playground and visitor centre.
- From the main car park, follow the tarmac ramp behind the Treetop Trek office. Take the step-free, lower level path down into the grounds.
- At the main path junction and gates, take the left hand track that heads towards the adventure play park.
- Follow this main track and signs for the boats and lakeshore.
- Pass the ticket office and follow the lakeshore path.
- Bear right when you finally reach the wooden jetty and watersports area.
- Follow signs for the visitor centre and gardens, but stay on the level, following the base of the hill and gardens.
- Pass the white summerhouse and covered picnic area.
- Stay on the lower path and retrace your route back to the car park. There are short sections of 1:12 gradients on this circuit.
- To access the Mawson Gardens, visitor centre, shop, café, toilets and exhibitions, take the main track that climbs up through the gardens, above the summerhouse. The gradient is greater then 1:12.
- There is a step-free return route to the main car park from the visitor centre.
Postcode: LA23 1QB
Grid reference: NY 390010
Accessible toilets and café on site, plus disabled car parking bay near the visitor centre
Bus: 555 and 599 services operate all year round. Boat: Windermere Lake Cruises call at Brockhole jetty from Ambleside and Bowness. Car: A591 Windermere to Ambleside road. Brockhole is about 4 km from Windermere.