Since the Lake District Communities Fund was launched in 2012 it has supported many projects.
Grants awarded so far in the West Distinctive Area by Lake District Communities Fund
- £2,229 for a Community Development Strategy to encourage participation in
the Ennerdale Centre development.
- £2,600 for the West
Lakes Squirrel Initiative - to safeguard the endangered populations of red
squirrels in West Cumbria.
- £885 to the Wasdale
Parish Meeting - to set up a new website for the whole valley, assisting the
community and businesses, protect its special qualities, and give advice to
- £2,500 to Herdwick
Sheep Breeders Association Limited - to support the purchase of a range of marquees
that can be used by the seven western Lake District shows that promote Herdwick
- £5,000 for Santon
Bridge Village Hall – rejuvenation of the village hall to provide a warm
welcoming and accessible venue for activities in a scattered rural community
with an ageing population.
- £3,000 for Eskdale
Mill and Heritage Trust - to create a new business plan for the improvement
and management of Eskdale Mill as a visitor attraction.
- £500 for National
Trust West Lakes – responsible Three Peaks media project to deliver a film
guide for three peaks challenge groups and individuals.
- £300 for an information leaflet to help bring superfast Broadband to the eight parishes of Mid-Copeland (2,050 homes).
- £2,200 for the Gosforth Agricultural Show Development Project to develop Gosforth show into a modern, high quality and financially sustainable rural show.
- £3,000 to build a disabled toilet facility for use by the local community and visitors to Lamplugh, providing a public amenity.
- £637 for Cumbria Tourism Sense of Place - Ravenglass and Eskdale Research project to assess the tourism and economic impact of the Sense of Place project.
- £5,000 for a project to develop south and mid Copeland as an effective, welcoming community, growing the visitor economy and increasing community pride and understanding of the benefits of tourism.
- £3,000 to the Joseph and Eleanor Gunson Almshouse Project. Support for the upgrade of the foul water system ensuring the continued availability of low cost housing in Ulpha and the maintenance of a vibrant inclusive community.
- £5,000 to support the building of The Ennerdale Centre to serve as a village shop, a visitors' centre and a community space to facilitate substantial further community engagement.
- £3,000 for the 'Lives in the Landscape event, Ravenglass and Eskdale'. A living exhibition across this diverse landscape featuring guided walks, electric cycle tours, archaeological digs, Roman and historical re-enactments, art and photography exhibitions.
- £3,000 for improvements to St Catherine's Lonning, Eskdale.
- £3,000 for Waberthwaite and Corney Village Hall's new disabled toilet and disabled access to the toilet.
Total grants to date in West distinctive area