Helton Conservation Area
Why is Helton special?
Helton is one of a string of settlements within the Lowther Valley which have attractive architectural and historic character. This includes:
- the grouping of linear frontages of buildings around a green
- a location on the valley side with extensive views
- surviving field patterns of medieval strip farming surrounding the village
- six listed buildings of special architectural and historic character
- a number of other notable groups of historic buildings
Although modern development has undoubtedly left its mark on the village there is still significant character remaining that is worth conserving.