Cottage and daffodils in Little Langdale copyright Helen Reynolds

Do I need planning permission?

Is the proposal an act of development?

Not all works require a planning application. If your proposal is not development, it will not need planning permission.

The Government has produced useful guidance which explains when planning permission is required (opens in new window).

Is it permitted development?

In some cases the Government grants planning permission for smaller works and changes of use (known as permitted developments). These can then take place without submitting a planning application.

For advice on permitted development rights, including useful mini-guides, check out the Planning Portal - do you need permission? (opens in new window)

What about listed buildings?

Works affecting the historic character and interest of listed buildings or certain structures around and near listed buildings, are subject to special controls. Carrying out works to a listed building without securing the necessary consents is a criminal offence. For more information see our listed buildings page.

Duty planner and planning surgeries

To informally discuss whether you need to apply for planning application you can talk to a Duty Planner or attend one of our regular planning surgeries - find out times and dates.

Certificate of lawfulness applications

If you would like a formal written determination as to whether a planning application is required you will need to submit an application for a Proposed Lawful Development Certificate - Proposed Use. A fee is payable for these applications.

What about written pre-application advice?

Find out more in Planning advice in writing.