Buildings in Lowther village copyright Dave Willis

Lowther Conservation Area

Why is Lowther special?

This historic planned model village was built in the 1770s for Sir James Lowther. It has many interesting characteristics such as:

  • Inspired by the drawings and design of Robert Adam (1728-1792), the renowned Georgian architect.
  • Designed as a single entity with a common architectural theme which creates an exceptional sense of place.
  • All of the historic buildings, including the 18th century pump and trough, are listed grade II* (defined in planning law as ‘particularly important buildings of more than special interest’).
  • A fragment of a grandiose scheme that features the plan-form of an incomplete circus and half of a Greek cross.
  • One of the earliest examples of the circus form, best exemplified by John Wood’s Circus in Bath (1754).
  • Example of an 18th century urban plan in an incongruous remote rural setting.
  • Unity of building materials, such as local limestone and sandstone walls under graduated Lake District slate roofs.
  • Individual trees and woods that provide a setting and a backdrop for the historic buildings.
  • Site of an historic lime-kiln.
  • Stone boundary walls with copings that reflect the location and purpose of the boundary.
  • Small details such as a Victorian letter box and a stone stile add to the area's distinctive sense of place.

More details