Lake Byelaw Enforcement
Lake users have a right of navigation on Windermere, Ullswater, Derwentwater and Coniston Lake.
These navigable lakes in the Lake District have different byelaws that apply – these byelaws can be found by following the links below (opens in a new window):
What to do if you observe byelaw infringements taking place:
If you do see any lake byelaw infringements taking place please report these straight away through to our duty Lake Rangers. They are contactable on mobile number 07768 320 241or email us at LakeRangerTeam@lakedistrict.gov.uk and our Lake Rangers will respond.
Please provide as much information as possible, the more information provided the better the chance we will have of finding those involved to investigate what has happened.
You can use our Byelaw Infringement Report Template to record your information
Information to make a note of includes:
- Details of the byelaw infringement, for example: speeding above the 6nmph or 10nmph, navigating without due care and attention.
- Date and time of the incident and for how long it occurred.
- The location of the incident, for example: a grid reference, otherwise a description of where on the lake it was near to, for example: 400metres north of Bark Barn Jetty, or centre of lake opposite Beech Hill Hotel.
- Vessel details – ideally the vessel registration number (this is a 4 or 5 digit white number shown on a black background) and a description of the boat – make, model, colour and the type, for example: sailing boat or a motor boat.
- Number and description of the people aboard, for example; two middle aged males.
- To be able to prosecute we will need videos or photographs of the bylaw infringement. Please try to:
- Video the incident side on for as long as possible.
- Video the vessel passing fixed points on the shoreline, for example: buildings, boat houses, jetties or other fixed landmarks.
- Video or photographs which can show the vessel number.