We are welcoming visitors back to the Lake District. We are working with our local partners to put measures in place that will help keep people safe.
Our page lakedistrict.gov.uk/coronavirus has a message from our Chief Executive, how the latest coronavirus rules apply across the National Park, updates on our attractions and services, and how you can contact us.
Made under Section 13 of the Countryside Act 1968 by the Lake District National Park Authority with respect to the control of power driven vessels on Coniston Water in the Lake District National Park.
Minute reference: 53/09
1. These Byelaws may be cited as The Lake District Coniston Water Byelaws, 2010
2. The Byelaws shall be applicable to the Lake known or cornr4-)only known by the name of Coniston Water.
3. In these Byelaws the following words and assigned to them respectively:- expressions have the meanings hereby
4. save as hereinafter provided no person shall use any power driven vessel on the lake
at a speed exceeding ten miles per hour.
5. The use of a power driven vessel in circumstances necessary to the proper execution of his duty by the following persons, that is to say:-
6. Byelaw No. 4 shall not apply to any person undertaking an attempt on a British National and/or World Water Speed Record, officially approved by the Lake District National Park Authority and by and held under the rules and supervision of the Royal Yachting Association and the Union Internationale Motonautique.
7. The Lake District National Park Authority may give permission to any person or persons undertaking the Proving Trial of Bluebird K7, to navigate that power driven vessel in specified parts of the Lake in excess of the speed limits specified in Byelaw No. 4 and may impose conditions subject to which any such permission is granted having regard, inter alia, to public health and safety requirements, the timing of the event and environmental considerations.
8. Nothing contained in these Byelaws shall be deemed to extinguish any public right of way over the lake.
9. Any person offending against any of the foregoing byelaws shall be liable on summaryconviction to a fine not exceeding level 2 on the standard scale.
10. The Lake District Coniston Water Byelaws, 1975 shall be repealed from the date on which these byelaws come into effect.
Given under the common seal of the Lake District National Park Authority this 14th day of December 2010
Executed as a deed by affixing the Common Seal of the LAKE DISTRICT NATIONAL PARK AUTHORITY in the presence of:
Richard Leafe, Chief Executive