Things to do
With more than 3,100 kilometres of rights of way, you can walk, cycle and ride around our countryside to your heart's content. You can also get on the water of our lakes and coastline.
Follow the Countryside Code to get the best enjoyment possible and protect the countryside now and for future generations.
- Be safe - plan ahead and follow any signs
- Leave gates and property as you find them
- Protect plants and animals, and take your litter home
- Keep dogs under close control
- Consider other people.
Keep on the Right Track
The network of paths and tracks in the Lake District is a fantastic resource for all to enjoy.
Just follow these simple guidelines:
- Respect the interests of other users, farmers and the local community.
- Leave gates as you find them and keep dogs under effective control.
- Protect the environment and please take all your litter home with you.
- Enjoy yourselves!
Read our checklists for cyclists, walkers and horse riders.
Need holiday accommodation?
We've cosy holiday cottages, quirky boutique hotels, friendly bed and breakfasts and luxury hotels!
Our commission goes towards keeping the National Park special: Browse and book accommodation online here
Sorry to interrupt, but what do you think of this website?
Just fill in our quick survey (link opens in new window)