Nutrient neutrality validation requirements for applications to the Lake District National Park Authority

UPDATE, 29 August 2023.  It has been reported in the press that the Government is considering legal changes which would affect nutrient neutrality requirements.  Required changes to the law have not been made and it is unclear what, how or when any changes may be made (if at all).  Nutrient neutrality information remains a validation requirement at the current time.  We will review our validation requirements in the event Government makes necessary changes to the law and updates its formal position.

Nutrient Neutrality information is required before a planning application to the Lake District National Park Authority is validated where the proposed development is in one of the nutrient neutrality catchment areas and is for:

  • agricultural development which will result in an increase in stock numbers; or
  • new overnight accommodation (including new dwellings, new camping, glamping or caravan pitches served by on-site toilet or washing facilities, or new hotel bedroom accommodation); or
  • new tourism development likely to increase the number of day visitors to a premises; (where such developments would be served by mains, package treatment plant, septic tank or cess pool sewerage)

Nutrient Neutrality information must be provided with these applications

Option 1

Option 2

  • Evidence that all thresholds for small discharges to ground as set out on page 21 of the Natural England Nutrient Neutrality Advice letters (see links below) are met.

Exceptions to nutrient neutrality validation requirement

This validation requirement does not apply to a:

  1. development falling within Use Class B2 or B8 (general industrial or uses)
  2. development falling within Use Class E (Commercial, Business and Service)
  3. development falling within Use Class F1(a), (d), (e), or (f)
  4. development falling within Use Class F2(a), (b) or (c)
  5. development changing between from one type of tourism accommodation to another without increasing occupancy (e.g. guesthouse to holiday let)
  6. householder development (including ancillary accommodation such as annexes or incidental accommodation such as garden buildings)

Nutrient Neutrality information may be needed in some other cases

For some applications Nutrient Neutrality information is not required as part of a valid application, we may still require nutrient neutrality information during the application process, or refuse planning permission in the absence of nutrient neutrality information for developments of the types listed above following case by case assessment.

Links to the Nutrient Neutrality evidence packs and calculators

River Derwent and Bassenthwaite Lake Special Area of Conservation
River Eden Special Area of Conservation
River Kent Special Area of Conservation
Esthwaite Water RAMSAR