Bike hire at Coniston Boating Centre
Along with boat hire and kayak hire we offer bike hire at Coniston Boating Centre. The lake, famous for Campbell's water speed records can be explored via cycle tracks and road. The quiet lanes of the east shore pass the historical house and gardens of Brantwood. For the more ambitious, there are a range of mountain bike routes towards the Langdales or the Bike Trail Centre of Grisdale. Why not cycle around Coniston Water stopping along the way for lunch in Torver and to tip your toes in the lake at the small rocky beaches along the eastern shoreline.
- Mountain bike, half day. 10am-1pm: £20
- Mountain bike, full day. 10am-4pm: £30
- Electric Bike, half day. 10am-1pm: £35
- Electric bike, full day, 10am-4pm: £50
Booking in advance is strongly recommended.
Address: Lake Road, Consiston. LA21 8EW
- First hire: 10:00 - Return by 4pm for a full day, 1pm for a half day.
OS map routes
Some routes mapped on the OS app. Ready to download - or pick up as a printed copy on the day.
- Coniston to Elterwater - 11.5km each way, 23km total, about a 3 - 4 hour ride at a leisurely pace. A pub and cafe are in Elterwater or you can continue further into the Langdale Valley. This route is a mix of gravel bridleways and green lanes.
- Coniston to Torver - 5km each way, 10km total, about a 2 hour ride at a leisurely pace. This is on gravel bridleways. There is a pub and deli for some refreshments in Torver. Return via the same track.
Good to know
- From Coniston Boating Centre there are gravel bridal ways or roads routes around the lake
- The staff will give you directions where to cycle
- Under 18s hire is to be booked by an adult over 18
- You are responsible for the bike and hire equipment
- Wear appropriate clothing: breathable, loose fit, layers and light showerproof jacket
- We don't recommend cycling in sandals or flip flops
- Booked online? Please bring proof of ID
- Show photo ID (driving licence/passport) if hiring an electric bike for security purposes
Places of interest
- Coniston Lake
- The National Trust Steam Gondola