16 May 2018
It's been months in the planning and the whole country is waiting to see the first glimpses of the royal couple on their big day. We're not waiting to see the dress, the colour of The Queen's hat or the chosen song for the first dance. We want to know where Harry and Meghan are going on their honeymoon of course.
With all the arrangements of the wedding taking centre stage we thought we'd offer a little bit of a helping hand and plan the perfect mini-moon - the beautiful Lake District is the perfect choice (and not just for the royals!)
What could be better than spending a few days taking in the fresh air, stunning views and setting foot in the amazing landscapes of the Lake District National Park. It's no coincidence that we are regularly named in the top UK honeymoon and staycation lists.
1. We're the UKs newest and biggest UNESCO World Heritage Site - one to tick off the bucket list (and HRH Prince Charles gave us the seal of approval when he recently unveiled the official World Heritage Site plaque in Keswick)
2. We do a quintessential Afternoon Tea with a view like no other at The Gaddum restaurant at Brockhole, the 19th Century house once enjoyed by Beatrix Potter during holidays to the Lake District. To celebrate the royal wedding we'll be offering a complimentary Kir Royale to everyone who has booked on table this Saturday or Sunday. Book your table here.
3. We have our own currency! The Lake District Pound would provide a welcome change for the royal couple to spend on their mini-moon break. Plus it goes back to two great charities and helps to keep our beautiful Park special.
4. One is always ready for an adventure - from peaks topping 900m to water sports on Coniston, cycling, climbing, caving and zip lines. Adrenalin activities come with the territory! Challenge your other half and add a bit of outdoor action to your time in the Lakes.
5. Fly direct - from London Southend to Carlisle Lake District airport in just over an hour from June. Our new flight route will be ready just in time for the royal couple to jet away on a mini-moon this summer! Alternatively arrive in 2hours 38minutes by train from London to Oxenholme.
We know these are just a couple of reasons why Harry and Meghan would enjoy a wonderful mini-moon in the Lake District and there’s so many more we could have chosen. If you’ve got any ideas to share with us, make sure you do through our social channels, we would love to hear them!
On behalf of us all we would like to wish the happy couple the very best for their big day and we’ll be waiting with a special Lake District welcome should we have any royal visitors in the beautiful National Park anytime soon!
Lake District National Park