Our own carbon reduction
Do as we do!
As an organisation, we have reduced our greenhouse gas emissions by 39 per cent over the last eight years and are confident that we will continue to lead by example and achieve our longer term ambition of a 50 per cent reduction by 2025.
You can read more in our latest Lake District National Park Carbon Footprint 2015/16 (PDF) and our Carbon Management Case Study (PDF).
What have we done so far?
- Appointed a dedicated Carbon Reduction Adviser.
- We have signed the Local Government Association Climate Local Commitment.
- Introduced Service Carbon Budgets to allow each team to understand and reduce their emissions.
- Installed woodchip boilers at our Head Office and Northern Office.
- Installed voltage optimisation at our Head Office.
- Installed low energy lighting, including LED lighting.
- Reduced the number of computer servers needed, and replaced individual printers, photocopiers and faxes with single multi-functional devices.
- Moved to low energy computers and installed video conferencing facilities.
- Reduced the number of miles our staff drive on behalf of the Authority by 36 per cent over the last 4 years, installing telematics technology in and continued to invest in .
- In 2010 we won a North West Climate Leaders Award for our efficiencies through carbon management.
- We also won national Fleet Heroes Awards 3 years running for reducing the environmental impact of our cars.