National Park Extension Questions and Answers

Who is the Local Planning Authority (LPA) in the extensions to the Lake District National Park?

We can help you with advice, making an application, searching applications and reporting breaches of control through our website, which includes how to contact us.

How do you take planning decisions?

We take decisions in accordance with the development plan policies for the area, taking into account material planning consideration, in just the same way as all LPAs. In the extension areas we are continuing to use the policies prepared by South Lakeland District Council and Eden District Council, taking into account that the area is now part of the National Park.

Do I have to pay Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)?

If you start work on a permission granted by South Lakeland District Council before 31 July 2016 that has liability for CIL you will have to pay your CIL instalments. We do not have CIL and it will not apply to permissions granted in the extension area after 1 August 2016.

Who is responsible for planning enforcement?

We are responsible for planning enforcement in the Lake District National Park.

Who is responsible for protected trees and hedgerows?

We are responsible for protected trees and hedgerows in the Lake District National Park.

Who keeps the planning records?

We keep the planning register for properties in the national park extension areas.  We have received copies of relevant planning history from South Lakeland District Council and Eden District Council. We manage this data in accordance with data protection and freedom of information requirements.

What about local land charge searches?

No change.

I have heard that permitted development rights are different in the National Park, is that true?

These national rights, which allow specified types of development to take place without a planning application to the LPA, do vary from area to area. There are some differences and if you contact us we can advise you whether the work you intend to carry out requires an application. As a guide these are some of the things that now require an application but didn't before are:

  • some household extensions; putting up a side extension, a two storey rear extension or extensions to the roof and including cladding the exterior of a house
  • large garden buildings that are more than 20m from the house or are to the side of the house
  • converting farm buildings, warehouses or retail premises into dwellings
  • extensions to industrial, retail and office buildings are limited by scale, height, and the materials that can be used
  • wind turbines
  • large arrays of solar panels on non-domestic buildings where the panels would face a road

Will you update your policies to include the extension areas?

Yes, we are starting to review our planning policies this year and we will include these areas. You will be able to be involved in the review process that will result in a new Local Plan for the Lake District, which will be the development plan for the whole National Park.  Find out more about the local plan review.