As part of the Government's 25 Year Environment Plan, 2019 has been declared a Year of Green Action.
It's all about connecting people with nature, taking positive action and improving our National Park and wider environment. Join us as we use this opportunity to promote action to tackle climate change and improve our biodiversity within the Lake District, encouraging people to help protect this special place.
Let us help you give something back to the Lake District. Take a look at the ideas below on how you can make a difference.
- Love your Park and respect the countryside code
- Learn about our non native species and if you spot any, make sure to report the sightings
- When you explore the Lakes, choose our guided walks - every penny spent goes back into the Lake District
- Inspire others to look after this special place by sharing your 'green actions' on social media using #yearofgreenaction
- Ditch the car - walk, cycle, swim or use public transport to explore the Lakes. Take a look at how you can travel sustainably here
- If you see any litter on your journey in the Lake District, take it with you and recycle it
- Donate towards the National Park, and help us in our work for as little as £10
- Buy seasonal and local fruit and vegetables to keep yourself and your carbon footprint healthy
- Say goodbye to single use plastics, use refillable water bottle, flask and coffee cups - all available to pick up in our Visitor Centres
- Volunteer at one of our litter picks or beach cleans, keep an eye out here for opportunities
- Install a bird or bat box in your garden to keep our little visitors well fed
- Wildflowers are in decline, so plant native plants in your garden
Please download a copy of the Year of Green Action toolkit, which we hope you’ll find useful in planning your activities in the year ahead.
Make a pledge
Join the movement and make your Year of Green Action pledge to protect the planet.
Did you know?