National Dog Day
Friday 26 August is National Dog Day! This day is to celebrate all dogs, family dogs, and dogs that work selflessly to save lives keep us safe and bring comfort. It's also to raise awareness about the number of dogs that need to be rescued each year.
Here at the Lake District National Park we love our four legged friends and we are fortunate enough to be able to take them out and about to enjoy some of the most inspirational landscape in the country, so come and join us!
Treat your dog this weekend
To celebrate National Dog Day this year we are inviting you to 'Paws for a drink' at Ullswater, Keswick, Bowness Bay tourist information centres or Brockhole on Windermere.
Our lovely team at our tourist information centres and Brockhole will be giving biscuits to all of our lucky dog visitors this Bank Holiday weekend. So what are you waiting for, pamper your pooch and pop in to see us.
Did you know?
Keswick has been voted in the Landlove Magazine Awards, and the winner of The Kennel Club's most Dog Friendly town award.
Top 5 fun things to do
- Explore the grounds of Brockhole on Windermere Brockhole loves their four-legged friends! Let your dog discover new smells in the garden, take a stroll by the lake shore or take your dog for a swim on lake Windermere. Your dog is allowed everywhere at Brockhole apart from the adventure playground, play and learn room and inside the main café area. However they are most welcome in the orangery area and there is plenty of outside seating, some of it undercover, for customers with dogs wishing to use the café.
- Take to the mountains Give your dog some good exercise and go for a long walk. Try and conquer the biggest mountain in England, Scafell Pike. Or if you want to take it easy, walk round Rydal Water where there are some amazing views.
- Assist an ill or elderly neighbour by walking their dog If there is someone you know who struggles to take their dog for a walk, ask to take it for a nice long stroll playing fetch.
- Go for a paddle Take your dog swimming and have a cool down on Windermere, the largest lake in England. Step on board a boat, if your dog has good sea legs why don't you try out a motorboat at Coniston Boating Centre.
- Visit Keswick Keswick is a thriving town and has been voted the most Dog Friendly town by The Kennel Club so it's top of the list in our book. Have a walk down by the lake or go for a nice circular stroll stopping off at Keswick TIC for your biscuit of course.
Send us your photos
Celebrate with us and send us a photo on twitter @lakedistrictnpa, Facebook or Instagram of your dog having fun in the Lake District this National Dog Day and we will feature you on our social media channels!