Ambleside rooftops copyright LDNPA

Planning questions and answers

Some of the answers may be in our web pages such as do I need planning permission?, how to apply and Contact us and advice - including planning surgeries pages.

Use the Planning Applications Search, Decisions, Appeals, and Development Control Committee pages to check the progress of a recent planning application or view an existing planning application lodged with us.

If you are concerned about a development, the Enforcement section gives advice.

There is also useful planning information on the Planning Portal (opens in new window). Or contact our contact centre on 01539 724555 or who will answer your query, put you through to the right person or call you back with the information.

Planning enquiries

A Duty Planner is available between 9.30am and 12.30pm, Monday to Friday.

For more information call 01539 724 555 or visit our head office in Kendal. This is a first come first served basis and no appointment is necessary. You can also email

Contact Centre file retrieval and photocopying timing guide

  • Files required from our server – same day
  • Paper files from the Planning Department – 3 working days
  • Microfische retrieval – 3 working days
  • Printing or photocopying – up to 20 copies – 4 working days / above 20 copies – 7 working days.

I need a set of planning application forms

Look at our How to apply page and download the relevant form from the pages linked from it, call our contact centre on 01539 724555 or email

When and where are the planning committees held?

Generally the planning committee meeting, known as Development Control, is held at the beginning of each month, at our headquarters at Murley Moss, Kendal. Details are on the Development Control Committee page.

How can I speak at a committee meeting?

Representations at committee should be based on sound planning considerations. You may have up to five minutes to speak. Applicants or their agents also have a right to respond to objector’s representations. Contact Anne Atkinson for advice on 01539 792703 or

How is my planning application progressing?

Follow the instructions on the Recent applications page. Or contact:

I want to view and comment on a planning application

It is important you tell us your views. You can do this:

The Planning Team
Lake District National Park Authority
Murley Moss
Oxenholme Road
Kendal LA9 7RL

Your views will be considered when we look at the application and could be read out at committee.

What is the correct fee for my planning application?

I would like to research a site's planning history

You can view past decisions online. We also keep files at our Kendal head office. To arrange to see the relevant file please call our contact centre at 01539 724555 or email , or Christine Cook on 01539 792620 or

Can I have a copy of a decision notice?

You can view past decisions online. Alternatively you can call our contact centre at 01539 724555 or email or Christine Cook on 01539 792620 or

I need a set of location plans to accompany my planning application

Location plans are copies of Ordnance Survey maps. These are available from public libraries or to buy from all good bookshops.

I want to carry out alterations on a listed building. What permissions do I need?

Please read our Listed Buildings page.

What do I need to do if I wish to demolish a building in a Conservation Area?

Conservation Area Consent is required for any works for the demolition of most buildings contained in a Conservation Area. You can look at the our Conservation Areas page for more details of their boundaries.