Cottage in Hawkshead copyright Paul Reynolds
Cottage in Hawkshead

Conservation Area Householder

Conservation Area Householder Checklist and Form

Householder Applications are required if you want to extend your home or alter it in some way that requires permission. Sometimes conservation area consent may also be required, for example if you want to demolish certain buildings or means of enclosure in a conservation area.

Top tip: You will only need Conservation Area Consent if your scheme involves the substantial demolition of a building or means of enclosure. Conservation Area Consent is not normally required to extend a house, even if it is in a conservation area.

Please download the Householder and Conservation Area Consent Application Form (PDF) (opens in new window)

Please make sure your application includes the right information, or it will be judged as invalid.

Application requirements

You will always need:

  • Form
  • Site location plan
  • Existing and proposed plans
  • Design and access statement
  • Heritage statement
  • Correct fee

You will sometimes need:

  • Bat survey
  • Tree survey
  • Flood risk assessment
  • Non-mains drainage information
  • Construction method statement
  • Protected species survey

For more details about when we need the information above, and what we expect, please see our guidance notes.

Top tip: if you are applying by post, please send three copies of all forms, plans and supporting information.

Application guides

Our guidance notes form part of our validation checklists. They provide further details about what information we require with an application.