Steps copyright Michael Turner
Stone steps with moss and wildflowers

Conservation Area Consent

Conservation Area Consent Checklist and Form

Conservation Area Consent is required for the demolition of certain buildings, walls and other means of enclosure in a conservation area. Conservation Area Consent applications should be made on this form.

Top tip: You will only need Conservation Area Consent if your scheme involves the substantial demolition of a building or means of enclosure. Conservation Area Consent is not required if you are only extending a building without demolishing anything, even if it is in a conservation area.

Please download the Conservation Area Consent Form (PDF) (opens in new window)

Please make sure your application includes the right information, or it will be judged as invalid.

Application requirements

You will always need:

  • Form
  • Site location plan
  • Existing and proposed plans
  • Heritage statement
  • Construction method statement

You will sometimes need:

  • Bat survey
  • Protected species survey
  • Tree survey 

You will not need:

  • A fee

For more details about when we need the information above, and what we expect, please see our guidance notes.

Top tip: if you are applying by post, please send three copies of all forms, plans and supporting information.

Application guides

Our guidance notes form part of our validation checklists. They provide further details about what information we require with an application.