Detail of a farmhouse door copyright Michael Turner

Estate Agency boards

Guidance on Temporary Advertisments - miscellaneous - including the sale or letting of land or premises

What is advertisement control?

There are regulations under the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) (England) Regulations 2007, which control advertisements. These include signs, posters and placards. The regulations mean that local planning authorities can control adverts in the interests of amenity and public safety in their area. Areas within a National Park have additional controls.

Is consent always needed to display an advertisement?

The regulations set out many types of advertisement, which can be displayed without the need for an application termed ‘Deemed Consent’. One of these (Class 3) recognises the needs of Estate Agents, Surveyors, Auctioneers and Valuers however it is an offence to display advertisements in contravention of the regulations, with a maximum fine of £2500.

How can I advertise in the National Park?

For residential property or housing developments the advertisement board:

  • must not exceed 0.5 square metre or 0.6 square metre if two boards are joined together
  • must not have characters or symbols greater than 30cm in height

For agricultural, industrial or commercial premises the advertisement board:

  • must not exceed 2 square metres or 2.3 square metres if two boards are joined together
  • must not have characters or symbols greater than 30cm in height


  • only one advertisement, consisting of a single board or two joining boards can be displayed on each site
  • it must be for the land or premises on which it is displayed
  • illumination is not permitted
  • no part of it should be more than 3.6 metres above the ground - the exception being where the building on which the board is displayed exceeds that level anyway for example a flat/office at first floor level or above
  • you must have the permission of the land owner and it must be displayed safely without hindering road signs. A board positioned on the highway verge advertising the adjacent property would be unauthorised. Such boards also contravene the Highways legislation frequently causing obstruction and danger to highway users
  • where an advertisement is displayed on a building, the maximum projection should be 1 metre

The regulations also state that any such advertisement shall be removed 14 days after the sale is completed or a tenancy is granted.

How can I find out more?

Visit Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers (opens in new window) to download a free guide produced by the government.

Our planning duty officer can answer questions of a general nature about the need for advertisement consent by phone, in person or at our planning surgeries. Find out more in Contact us and planning surgeries.