Sun through snowy trees


Guidance on using A-boards for businesses

What is Advertisement Control?

There are regulations under the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) (England) Regulations 2007, which control advertisements. These include all fixed signs, posters, placards and ‘A’ boards. The regulations mean that local planning authorities can control adverts in the interests of amenity and public safety in their area. Some areas within the National Park have additional controls.

Is consent always needed to display an advertisement?

The regulations set out many types of advertisement which can be displayed without the need for an application, known as deemed consent. These recognise the needs of businesses however it is an offence to display advertisements in contravention of these regulations, with a maximum fine of £2500.

How can I use an ‘A’ board to advertise my business?

To minimise visual clutter in the Lake District we ask that repetitive signage is avoided. In general:

  • The board can only be displayed on the business premises or forecourt
  • A forecourt includes any enclosing fence, wall, or other structure but does not include the area of pavement in front of business premises which forms part of the highway
  • The board may not be Illuminated

Please contact us for specific advice on your advertisement as the regulations have different requirements depending on where you are.

How can I find out more?

Visit Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers (opens in new window) to download a free guide produced by the government.

Our planning duty officer can answer questions of a general nature about the need for advertisement consent by phone, in person or at our planning surgeries. Find out more in Contact us and planning surgeries.