Commenting on applications

How do I send you comments about an application?

You can email comments on applications to or send them by post to Lake District National Park Authority, Murley Moss, Kendal, LA9 7RL.

Please make sure you quote the application reference number on any representations.

When do I have to send you my comments by?

Applications for planning permission, reserved matters, variation of condition, listed building consent, and modification of planning obligations are publicised in accordance with legal requirements – this usually means a site notice or neighbour letter, and in some cases a press notice. These applications will not be determined before the latest of:

  • 14 days from registration; or
  • 14 days from the date of a press notice (if there is one); or
  • 21 days from the date of a site notice (if there is one); or
  • 21 days from the date of a neighbour letter (if there are any)

Although we will take into account representations received before we determine an application, if your comments arrive after the publicity period has expired, the application may have already been decided when we get your comments.

There are no publicity requirements for most applications for lawful development certificates, non-material amendments, advertisement consent or prior approval, and these applications may be determined at any time.

Where can I view an application?

You can view application details online using our planning application search, or at our office in Kendal during office hours (please call ahead to make sure the file is available to avoid a wasted journey).  We do not normally display letters of objection and support from the public on our website, but we are working on this.  In the meantime, these can be viewed on the application file at our Kendal office.

Will the applicant be able to read my representations?

Yes, anyone can read your comments. Representations made on a planning application are a matter of public record.  Anyone can view them on the application file.  We may also display them on our website.

How are decisions on planning applications made?

You can find out more about how applications for planning permission are decided in the Government’s National Planning Practice Guidance.

What happens if an application goes to appeal?

If we refuse an application, the applicant usually has a right of appeal to the Secretary of State. Appeals are handled on behalf of the Secretary of State by the Planning Inspectorate.  In the case of a householder or minor commercial application appeal that proceeds by way of the expedited procedure, any representations made about the application will be passed to the Secretary of State but there will be no opportunity to make further representations.

In the event of any other appeals we will send the Planning Inspectorate copies of any representations we received before taking our decision, and will notify people who commented when any further representations should be with the Planning Inspectorate.