Audio Trail download instructions
How long will they take to download?
Each of the audio files for these trail routes are roughly 10MB. Download times will vary dependent on the speed and quality of your internet connection.
- 56kps (dial-up / modem) = 25 minutes
- 1.5Mbps (ADSL Lite) = 1 minute
- 10Mbps (Ethernet broadband) = 8 seconds
How to download to an Apple device such as an iPhone, iPod or iPad
- Download the Heritage Trail mp3 files to your preferred folder (Downloads or Music for example) on your Mac/PC (CTRL-Click and Save As; or Right-Click and Save As).
- Open iTunes.
- Set iTunes Preferences to "Copy files to the iTunes Music folder when adding to library"
- Add the Heritage Trail mp3 files (using Add File to Library, or the ‘Ctrl + O’ shortcut)
- Navigate to and select the file or folder that you want to add
- Connect your Apple device to your computer
- In Options for your Apple device make sure the ‘Sync only ticked songs and videos’ is checked if you only want to add the Heritage Trail mp3 files.
- Make sure the Heritage Trail mp3 files are ticked.
- Press the Sync button (bottom right)
- You will find the Heritage Trail Route media in the Music section of your Apple Device.
How to download to an Android device connected to the internet
- Open your device's web browser (Internet)
- Go to the webpage containing Heritage Trails Audio mp3 link.
- Click on the link and you should see two options: One for an audio player (to stream the file) and one called 'downloads'. If you accidentally end with a menu, select the 'open in new window' option. You should then see the two icons.
- Click 'downloads'.
- Once the mp3 file finishes downloading, you can listen to it by clicking on the 'downloads' icon on your phone's desktop.
How to download to an Android device connected to a PC
- Download and Install Windows Media Player (if you don't already have it)
- Connect your Android device to the computer with a USB cable
- Download the Heritage Trail mp3 files to your Music folder on your PC (Right-Click and Save As).
- Connect your device to your PC.
- If an Autoplay window comes up, select “Open device to view files using Windows Explorer.” The icon will look like a folder. (If an Autoplay window did not appear, open your Computer by clicking the Start button and then selecting “Computer” or “My Computer”. A window showing your connected devices will appear. Double-click on your phone in the list to open it up).
- Browse to your Music folder (the Music folder in the Android device).
- Open another Windows Explorer window and navigate to your Music folder (the Music folder in the PC).
- Select the Heritage Trail mp3 files on your PC.
- Drag these files to your Android device Music Folder.
- You should now be able to listen to the Heritage Trail files using your usual Media Player application.
Also many thanks to landowner the Lowther Estate for giving us permission to make these trails.