Volunteer led activities
Terms and conditions
The Lake District National Park Authority organises more than 250 volunteer led activities, including guided walks and navigation sessions, which are subject to terms and conditions. By proceeding with a booking and attending one of our activities you agree that these will apply.
- Although all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure the safety of people participating in our activities, individuals do so at their own risk.
- Our volunteer walk leaders are trained and assessed to guide you safely. However, customers need to accept that there are risks involved in fell walking.
- All participants must abide by instructions issued by leaders, including health and safety instructions. Anyone failing to abide by these instructions may be asked to leave the activity if, in the opinion of the leaders, their actions could jeopardise anyone in the group.
- If anyone leaves an event before the finish, either by agreement or having been asked to, the leader or leaders’ duty of care will cease at that point.
- We reserve the right to alter or cancel an activity if it is not safe to proceed. This is most likely in the event of extreme weather conditions.
- We reserve the right to exclude participants if they are deemed by leaders not to be adequately prepared and equipped. Please check the activity website listing which will state if specific equipment is advised or essential, particularly in relation to footwear and clothing. Please ensure you have enough food and drink for the type and duration of the activity.
- We reserve the right to refuse participation if it is considered a person’s conduct puts either themselves or others in danger. We accept no responsibility for personal property that may be lost or damaged during the event.
- Activity leaders need to determine, as far as possible, that participants are physically and mentally fit for that particular activity.
- By attending the activity you accept that leaders will ask you to declare, in confidence, any relevant medical information that may affect your performance.
- Age restrictions may apply. Please check individual activities.
- Children, 17 years or under, must always be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
Dogs on volunteer led guided walks
- The activity listing on our website, will state if dogs are acceptable. If so, well behaved dogs on leads and guide dogs are welcome.
- If dogs become a risk to participants the owner may be asked to walk behind the group.
Attendance on events
- Maximum participant numbers apply to all activities for health and safety reasons and group enjoyment.
- Places will be offered on a first come first served basis, so please identify yourself to the leader at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment.
- Where booking is available, priority will be given to those booking in advance.
- Individual activities will indicate suitability for people with disabilities.
- On guided walks, it may be possible for us to arrange for a sighted guide to be available. Please ring us on 01539 724 555 to discuss your requirements.
Terms and conditions and third parties
Where third parties are involved, additional terms and conditions may apply.
- Bookings are taken by our contact centre and information centre staff by telephone or in person at the counter. Or by customers directly through our website.
- You will be issued with a booking reference which you will need to present to the leader on the day.
Your credit or debit card details will be requested to purchase your ticket(s). If booking online, your credit or debit card details will be requested to complete your purchase and a "print-at-home" ticket will be generated.
Full payment, as itemised, shall be debited and your account statement will identify the transaction by the name of our 3rd party payment clearing provider who operate our secure, PCI compliant online booking system.
Cancellation by you
A full refund will be given up to 48 hours before the activity; alternatively, we may be able to transfer your booking to another date. Even if an activity is free, we ask you give us 48 hours' notice if you wish to cancel so that we can inform event leaders and offer others the chance to join the activity.
Cancellation by us
If we need to cancel the event we will offer you a full refund or with your consent, transfer your booking to another date.
In the event of adverse weather conditions
Most activities, particularly guided walks, have alternative routes in the event of adverse weather. Leaders will make a decision on the day as to whether the event will proceed or an alternative offered. Their decision is final.